Private Counsellors and Psychologists

Private Counsellors have a Masters degree in counselling or social work (or equivalent training) and can help with a variety of issues including mental health concerns. They will work together with you to find ways to address the challenges you are facing. Through counselling you can discuss your concerns and strengthen your ability to make the desired changes in your life.

Psychologists/Registered Psychologists (RPsych) have a PhD in psychology. Similar to counsellors, they provide an opportunity to talk about and work through things that are confusing or worrying. This can help you to make positive changes in your life.

Counsellors and psychologists can be accessed by contacting:

These services are not usually covered by a BC CareCard. Extended health benefits may cover some costs for private counselling, and some counsellors/psychologists will offer sliding scales based on your income.

Other places that may offer low-cost counselling in your community include clinics at universities or colleges, or family services agencies in your community. To find low-cost counselling in your community, contact the the Mental Health Support and Information Line (310-6789), or the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre.